Take My Hand, Now Run - Chapter 3

All recognized characters belong to Stephenie Meyer. No copyright infringement intended.

This chapter has been beta'd by the ever amazing: Strae


The nights grew progressively colder as we continued North and West. We started sharing blankets, using body heat to stay warm. On the nights that I wasn't the one to stay up on watch, I shared with Bella. It probably would seem "unconventional" to have a man and woman that were not married sharing a blanket, but I remained so perfectly gentlemanly that I doubt anyone could comment on it. Outwardly I was gentlemanly anyway, inwardly, I couldn't help but notice every small thing about her.

I loved the way she felt, so warm against me. I loved the way she smelled, like a heavily flowered meadow in the sun just after a fresh spring rain. I loved the way she breathed. I loved how soft her hair was. I loved the way she was so shy. I loved her deep brown eyes. I loved how she trusted me and sought out my company. I loved the way she talked in her sleep.

The night she'd said my name whilst dreaming had been a difficult one. I'd very nearly buried my head into her hair and crushed her body to me. That night I realized I couldn't look at her the same anymore, because I loved everything about her. I loved her.

And the nights that I was on night duty, she'd say goodnight to me sweetly, looking very much like she wanted to sit next to me, but was unwilling, just as I was, to let Alice catch a chill. She kept little Alice warm. I loved her even more for that.

We started to talk with each other more. During our long days of riding, we began to converse about ourselves. We were lost in our own little world, talking about everything we could think of.

I found out she was my age, seventeen years old. Her favorite color was green – though I have yet to find out why she blushed when telling me so. She was well-educated and from the East just as I was. Her favorite horse had been called "Thing" because it was utterly hideous looking with an ugly rust color and a large head, she'd called him, "the most dependable Thing there'd ever been."

More difficult topics started to rise the more we talked. She wouldn't turn her head and smile at me when we talked about them and I knew better than to look at her over my shoulder as I hated seeing her eyes look sad and alone.

I found out her mother's name was Renee and her father was Phillip. She'd had one brother named Charlie. Her best friend had been a girl slightly older than her named Angela, another good friend had been a younger girl, Jessica. She'd lost them all, plus some other loved ones to the savage beasts.

She told me about how she'd been meant to be the Chief's son's wife. I panicked slightly and unthinkingly blurted a question about them raping her. The arm she had around my waist tensed, but she answered no. She told me about how she would fight whenever anyone would so much as lay a hand on her. She said she left nasty bite marks on the Chief's son, bruises too from kicking and punching. She told me she had been starting to grow weak though, and if I hadn't have rescued her, she'd have either been killed for her struggling or grown so frail she wouldn't have been able to withstand any longer.

I shuddered at the thought. The Modocs were as stubborn as they were brutal, and converting Bella was obviously their goal. They had to of realized quickly how stubborn she was, how much she'd probably have rather died then live with them. I was thankful for their stubbornness, if not for that, she'd probably have been beaten severely or just killed. The Chief's son had wanted her bad to have restrained.

I was much more worrisome after discovering that fact. Taking something so precious from them was a catastrophic mistake, if they caught us that is. I'd never see Bella as a mistake, but if they caught us, we were all dead. We'd come so far though; just how stubborn were they? I couldn't help but look over my shoulder for followers.

– – –

"Charlie loved to fish," Bella said quietly. We both walked today giving Ginger a well earned rest as we led her along. "We always had more fish than we could eat." With her by my side, I couldn't help but look at her. She had a very sad smile on her lips. I reached for her hand. Her face turned red as she clasped her fingers around mine.

"What do you like to do?" I asked.

Bella's sadness seemed to dissipate. She smiled. "I like to read."

I was intrigued. "Go on."

She flushed lightly, peaking at me out of the corner of her eye. "I used to have some Austen, I enjoyed Brontë as well."

I could feel myself gawking, but I couldn't stop. She actually enjoyed reading. Not only did she enjoy reading, she knew her literature. Romantic literature, but literature nonetheless!

"Do I have something on my face?" She asked me confusedly, wiping a few stray locks of wild hair from her face.

"No," I answered, closing my mouth but unable to stop staring. "It's just, I can't believe...how haven't we talked of this before?" I shook my head. "Emily or Charlotte?" I asked her.

She seemed taken aback by my question, but not because she couldn't chose, more that she couldn't believe I was asking. "I adore Wuthering Heights," she answered.

"Why?" I asked. "I prefer Jane Eyre."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "You would, Edward."

I rolled my eyes at her. "You should talk, Isabella."

Then she laughed. She actually laughed. Ghosts of laughs would escape occasionally before, but nothing like this. This was her laugh. It was beautiful and airy and just as perfect as everything else about her. I loved her laugh too.

I couldn't interrupt that laugh, though I did wonder how in the world one could "adore" Wuthering Heights? Was she being honest or testing me? Obviously testing, there was nothing redeeming about any of the characters, they were malignant, selfish, hateful beings.

When her laugh died away, I questioned her. "So you were joking right? No one really adores that book."

She gave me an amused look. "I'm serious."

"Why?" I asked incredulously. She shrugged. "Heathcliff and Cathy are terrible, they are evil. The story would have been okay if not for the fact that either of them have zero redeeming qualities."

"They have a redeeming quality," she stated pointedly.

"What on earth are you talking about?" I asked, bemused.

"Their love, I think, is what redeems them. It's inevitable, in the end, nothing can keep them apart."

I stared, even more in love with her than before, because of her thoughtful remark.

I watched her lips twitch upwards into what I thought must have been a smug smirk. "Nothing else to add?"

"I still think they are both evil," I said.

"I never disagreed with them being evil. Still think I'm crazy for adoring it anyway?"

"I never thought you were crazy," I told her. We left the Brontë debate at that and moved onto Austen.

It was funny how the time flew while we talked. I learned she'd only read Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice. I promised her she would "adore" Emma and Mansfield Park as well. I swore to myself I'd get them, as well as every other Austen and Brontë book I could find, for her.

I fell hopelessly in love with her the more she spoke.

Even into the dark, we continued on. Alice curled up with our parents while Bella and I quietly went on and on by the fire. Then it happened.

The blinding pain pierced my shoulder and I fell backwards from the force. I heard Bella scream and immediately reached for her, pulling her down and out of the way. I could hear my family awaking now. I hoped Emmett and Father were getting the women safely out of danger. I could hear the others approaching. It was too quiet for them to be on horseback. I could mostly only see black, except for Bella. She was all I saw. She was afraid and crying, trying to move, while I pinned her to the ground and tried not to bleed on her or disturb the arrow that was sticking from my shoulder.

Fear and hopelessness compelled me. If anything were to happen to me – and I would die to make sure nothing would happen to her – I wanted her to know.

"Bella," I said, unnecessarily speaking as she was already staring at me, but I felt the need to say her name. I had her undivided attention, though I could see russet skinned, black haired men surrounding us. "I love you," I told her.

I removed myself from her then and turned my back to her. I ripped the arrow from my right shoulder and tossed it aside. It hurt like hell, but I wouldn't allow myself to succumb to the pain. I was turning back to Bella when I felt two hands press firmly down on the hole in my shoulder. The were recognizably her hands as she applied pressure to stop the bleeding. Her hands were being covered in my blood. It was a useless feat, the bleeding wouldn't stop before they took us away, but an act done out of love.

I turned to look at her and was alarmed by the look on her face. The pain was so distinct that I thought she had been shot too. But I recognized the ghosts. They were there full force and I'd never seen how much they troubled her.

"I love you too," she told me.

And I saw myself as one of her ghosts. Another love lost. I covered her blood filled hands with my own. Her eyes opened to find my face right in front of her own.

"I'll never leave you," I promised her. Not through death, not through life, not if she froze with fear, certainly not if she was kidnapped again. I just wouldn't.

It was a promise that I sealed with a kiss. A breath stealing, life altering kiss. Her lips fit perfect against mine. I was positive in that moment that we were meant to have found each other. Nothing would stop our love. I grew uncontrollably angry when we were forced apart and gathered up by very large men.

"You are on our land," spoke one of them. Not only did his English surprise me, but again his size as he easily held Emmett immobile.

Father spoke. "We are very sorry. We will hastily leave."

The big man laughed. "I'm sure you would. But you pale faces are savage people. You kill our sacred animals and destroy our land. You will speak with our Elder Leader."

I felt our future was grim as we were led back to this "Elder Leader." I could only imagine what was in store for us. Upon entering their camp, I took notice of their woman and children. Most were dressed modernly, in dresses and pants. They weren't all wearing just animal hides. They were obviously trading, therefore cordial, with at least one group of, as they put it, pale faces.

Some of the women even looked surprised to see us being drug through camp. These were obviously not the brutal tribe the Modocs were.

Arriving at the "Elder Leader's" teepee again surprised me because it was not set near the center, was not any larger or more elaborate looking. It was simple and understated. It seemed like a good idea to me, though. No one would know where the Chief's tent was if they couldn't tell it apart from the others.

"Billy, we have visitors," said the one holding Emmett.

Billy? These Indians did not even have usual tribal names like Big Fish or Wolf Fang, but white men's names.

The Elder Leader emerged from his tent. He was wrinkled slightly, but when he spoke, he sounded very young, yet knowing. "Ah, Sam. Where have you found these?"

Sam, he was the one who had Emmett. He must have been some other kind of Leader, if not the Elder Leader. "They were just a few miles off, in the heart of our land. We could smell the smoke and followed to their fire. Most were asleep."

"And why is this one bleeding from his chest?" Billy motioned towards me. "Did they fight?"

Sam smiled a little bit. "Paul lost his temper. They did not fight us, they came willingly and did offer to leave before we took them."

The elder smiled now. "Paul, what have I told you about that temper?"

I found out which one shot me as he said, "I know," quite grudgingly.

"May I speak?" My father asked.

The Elder smiled widely. "Since you asked kindly, I am willing to allow it."

"We do not mean you any harm and we are all very sorry if we caused you any trouble. We are honestly just passing through and did not have any plans to harm your land, people, or animals."

The knowing Elder seemed to be thinking. Again he smiled. "We are kind people," he said. "We have agreements with the pale faces around us. Some of them do not like it. As well as being kind people, we are also strong people, so they do not fight us. All we ask is that you stay off our land."

Carlisle nodded quickly. "Yes, absolutely. We will be clear of your land at once and not set another foot on it."

"This I am glad to hear. Now, we did not invite you here, but because one of mine so unnecessarily harmed your's, we would like to invite you to eat with us."

Father agreed, though apprehensively. With a movement of the Elder's hand, we were released. Bella came immediately to me and was again applying pressure to my wound.

"It's okay," I assured her. She didn't looked reassured. She looked slightly angry actually by the glare she was giving me. It made me laugh a bit, before I realized that she was also worried.

"May I tend to my son before eating?" My father asked.

"Sure," agreed the Elder.

Father removed my shirt and his own and tied pressure over the hole and used the other shirt to make a sling for my arm. He gave me a pointed look before turning back to the Elder and telling him that it would do for now.

I made sure to be seated next to Bella and kept my mouth tightly closed except to eat what was put in front of me. No one really looked comfortable, though the meal was good and the people were actually quite warm. Not one of us spoke unless spoken to.

The Elder addressed me. "I hope you will not hold it against us for one of our more angered members."

Again, I received the pointed look from my father and kept my mouth shut. He answered for me. "Of course not."

The Elder seemed confused. "Does he not speak for himself?"

Carlisle smiled at him. "You'll have to forgive me. My son has a bit of a temper himself and I am only trying to keep the peace. He will of course forgive the one mistake."

"He does not seem to agree by the look on his face."

I forced a calm and when Bella squeezed my hand under the table, I managed to smile. I wasn't fond of being talked for, nor being talked about like I wasn't sitting right there. I also wasn't fond of being shot, or forgiving those who shot me.

Across the way from Bella and I, there was a young boy, who by looks appeared Alice's age in his face but very mature everywhere else. He was Alice's opposite. For what Alice lacked in size and mass, this boy possessed vastly. He was easily as tall as I was and probably double my width. He was staring at Bella.

I hadn't noticed earlier, but now that I had, I felt my blood boil. She seemed completely unaware of the fact. I'd never felt quite so protective or possessive of another in my life, and I didn't mind that I was feeling it for her.

"Jacob," said the Elder. The boy looked at the old man. "My son, go help collect the visitors' things so they can be on their way."

My anger grew. Another descendant of a leader being after my Bella was not a good thing. In fact, I would say it was one of the worst things I could imagine.

"You okay?" Bella asked me quietly, squeezing my hand again.

I nodded, squeezing her hand back and not letting go this time. Her oddly sparking touch calmed me somehow and because he was no longer there staring at her, I was able to forget it.

We continued to eat our meal and I felt a sudden drowse come over me. I could feel myself starting to panic because it was obvious that I had been drugged, but I couldn't make my mouth move to tell the others to stop eating. I believe I was unconscious just moments later.

– – –

I woke up to warmth and sunlight. I heard waves crashing and opened my eyes confusedly.

"How are you feeling?" asked a voice that was unbelievably recognizable to me, though I'd known it for such a short time.

I turned my head to find her and she was sitting next to me, in a white sundress. Her dark hair was shining with those red highlights and she was smiling at me lovingly with a hint of concern.

"I'm fine," I answered, sitting up to orientate myself and figure out where we were.

We were both on a blanket, in the sand, on a beach, by what looked to be the ocean. It wasn't the white sand and crystal clear water I was used to. The sand here was darker, behind us was a forest of trees, and the water was ominously gray, even in the bright sun. Tall cliff like rock formations stood in the water and against it further down the beach and the waves were crashing loudly into those.

"Where are we?" I asked, mostly to myself.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" said Bella.

Her voice brought my attention back to her and I had a feeling that I wouldn't be looking away again. If anything out here was beautiful, it was her.

"Yes," I said, wondering if she would be too embarrassed to know I was talking about her.

"I'm glad you're okay," she told me. She had been staring me unwaveringly in the eye, but as she started to speak again, she looked down at her hands and her cheeks went pink. "Did you mean what you said?"

"That I love you?" I guessed. She nodded, still not meeting my eye. I gently reached for her face and she allowed me to place my hand on her cheek. Even after she looked back at me, I kept my palm on her cheek. "Absolutely, Bella. I love you. I also meant it when I said I'd never leave you. As long as you want me, I'll be with you."

Her lips parted and I heard a deep breath rush out of her mouth like she'd been holding it. "I love you too. I'll always want you, Edward," she said, leaning into me and wrapping her arms around my neck.

I let my hand follow around the back of her neck and I cupped it, bringing her face closer to my neck and placing my other arm around her shoulder to hug her back. I felt her sigh into my skin and shuddered at the feel of it. She pulled back slightly and I allowed her to move away from me, though I didn't want to let her go, ever.

She didn't move very far away and she looked up at me through her lashes, her cheek burning red. I tilted my head slightly, wondering what on earth she could be thinking. She advanced forward again but stopped and when she licked her lips, I figured it out. She wanted to kiss me, but was too nervous to do it.

I smiled and leaned forward, closing the distance between us. Her lips curved against mine in the same smile I was wearing. She sighed through her nose and I chuckled quietly against her lips. Her hands came to my face first and then she reached farther back and slowly knotted her fingers into my hair. I mimicked her first move, cupping either of her cheeks but then I let them fall slowly down the perfect expanse of her throat. My thumbs brushed against her collarbones and traced their shape a few times before climbing back up to her shoulders then into her hair. It was so soft in my hands.

Her breathing had picked up so I moved my lips from hers to allow her to catch a breath. I ghosted feather light kisses on her cheeks, across her nose, up to her still closed eyelids, and back down from her temples.

What felt like a jarring blow to my abdomen had me pulling away from her and shooting my back straight suddenly. I looked down at my stomach, expecting to find an arrow or something sticking out of it, but nothing was there.

"What's wrong?" Bella asked worriedly, cupping my face in her hands and pleading me to tell her with her eyes.

"Nothing," I said, then a rocking motion made me light headed and I fell towards her. I felt like I was crushing her beneath me so I started to scramble up, only to be held down.

– – –

"Take it easy, Edward, I got you," came my father's voice.

"Bella," I gasped, scrambling again.

"She's with Alice on Ginger. Everyone is fine."

My eyes finally unclouded enough to see red hair on horsehide. I was leaned over Alistair's back behind Carlisle's saddle, his hand was holding me steady on the horse by the back of my pants.

"What happened?" I asked.

"The Indian woman that cooked your meal was that Paul's mother. She felt bad for her son's temper and put a 'sacred healing medicine' into you food. Apparently, it knocked you unconscious."

"Great. Shot by an Indian and drugged by his mother. Wonderful to hear I have so many friends."

Carlisle laughed. "This Indian remedy actually seems to be speeding your healing process. I've never seen a wound start to heal so quickly. If only I could get my hands on that…" he trailed off.

"Where is everyone else?" I asked, looking forward, behind, and as far as I could see to each side of us.

"They're ahead of us. They'll find a place to make camp. Tomorrow will be our last day of riding, Edward, I know you'll be happy to hear that."

I sighed happily. "I am, despite the arrow wound."

"Bella made a friend." I know he felt me stiffen. "The Elder's son-"

"She will not have a thing to do with him," I growled.

"Edward, it's hardly your place to say who Bella will have a thing to do with. Besides, the Quileute Tribe was very accommodating, despite your arrow wound. I would like to stay on good terms with them and they said they come North now and then. He may want to visit Bella."

"No," I spat.

"Care to tell me why."

I fought every urge to say, "because she's mine." As much as I wanted her to be mine, she wasn't. She may not even want to be mine. And my father was right, it wasn't my place to say who Bella wanted to do anything with. "Because, father, she was held prisoner by a Chief's son once already, I don't think she'll be kin to have a relationship with another one."

"This boy and tribe is nothing like the Modocs, Edward. I've been meaning to ask you, has she said anything to you about that?"

"The being held prisoner thing?"

"Yes."

"Not really. She did tell me she tried to fight them though."

"Yes, I saw the evidence of that. She bit him quite hard. Do you remember her bloody nose and lip?"

"Yes," I said, recalling giving her my handkerchief. The bruise on her cheek had lasted some time, but her lip had heeled quickly.

"When that beast that was keeping her captive pointed to his bite wound, he then pointed to Bella's mouth, showing me she bit him. He touched her face, she retaliated by kicking him in the groin. I was hard pressed not to laugh, but I knew they were Modoc, I thought he would kill her. He smacked her across the face, hard enough that she fell. She's a strong one, I didn't even see a tear."

My fists clenched and I was ready to march myself halfway back across the country to find him and beat him to death for hitting her. I hoped she kicked him hard enough to never reproduce.

I rode in silence for sometime, seething. I wanted to find Bella and kiss her cheek, promise her she'd never be hit again. I wanted to find the one who hit her and teach him how it felt, over and over again, until he couldn't get up anymore. I even wanted to yell at my father for not protecting her better, though I knew deep down there was nothing he could have done.

"What do you suppose Bella will do when we arrive at our home?" my father asked me.

I hadn't really thought about it, logically speaking anyway. I dreamed of the possibility of living with her a few times. Mostly I just assumed she'd stay with us. The way my father worded it made it sound like she wouldn't be. He made it sound like he knew she'd go somewhere else, or that he would tell her she wasn't welcome with us.

"I don't know," I said. With a great deal of thought, I added, "But I'm prepared to go wherever she does if she'll have me."

He didn't respond at first and I didn't look to see what type of expression he was wearing. My stomach and my back hurt from the position I was in over the horse's back, but at least that distracted me from the pain in my shoulder. The sound of hooves on dirt reverberated through my head as I waited for a response.

"Your mother and I have discussed it and we'd already agreed that Bella would be more than welcome with us, I just was hoping you'd admit your feelings," he finally added, sounding rather amused. "We thought you could take the room that was meant for Alice and since your room was bigger, we thought we'd give that one to the girls."

My only problem with that was that I wasn't the one sharing a room with Bella, but I wasn't about to complain about it. "Great," I said.

"Are you going to make things complicated?" he asked me.

"I have no idea what you mean," I responded.

My father sighed, "Exactly as I expected."




0 comments: