Take My Hand, Now Run - Chapter 2

All recognized characters belong to Stephenie Meyer. No copyright infringement intended.

This chapter has been beta'd by the ever amazing: Strae


I went over my plan a few hundred more times in my head. Bella finally whispered okay to me.

With one final rush over everything, I said, "Just get them over there, Emmett, and do whatever you have to do. I don't want anymore coming, we'll do whatever we have to about these four, but just don't draw outside attention. Quiet…. Okay!"

Emmett stood up. I could see him over his rock and he said, "Bathroom." They couldn't understand him, but they did move towards him warily. Emmett crossed his legs and made head movements while sort of dancing in place. The men checked around themselves and started going towards him, elbowing each other and kind of smirking. They probably thought it was funny that Emmett thought he was going to get untied for having to go to the bathroom. It was working, so I didn't really care what he did.

The men kept moving toward him, laughing and speaking in their own tongue, probably making jokes. I kind of hoped it was irritating Emmett. Emmett was a huge man and for him to get angry meant trouble. I'm sure he was angry enough as it was, with his pregnant wife tied helplessly next to him. But the more angry he would become, the better. His rage would fuel him to extremes that we needed.

It was the four men against Bella and I and Emmett once he was free. The closer they got to Emmett, the more nervous I became. I didn't want to see Bella get hurt.

"Change of plans," I whispered hurriedly to her. "Go untie my father, now, go!"

I jumped up and she jumped up after me, going the opposite direction. I kind of weaved between the huge boulders so they couldn't see me.

"Now Emmett," I hissed. With a running start, I launched at the two closest offenders. I heard something snap and I hoped it was Emmett's rope. We surprised the men and they luckily didn't have time to scream or yell.

With rage I didn't think I was capable of, I started hitting. I aimed for heads and used all of my strength. It wasn't enough. I felt one of them fighting back, though the other one was still. A sickening crunch in the background had me praying Emmett broke one of theirs, not the other way around. With a powerful kick, I flew backwards into Rosalie's rock. She gasped and the one that kicked me made to holler, so I pushed myself off the rock as strongly as possible and I landed hard on top of him. Knocking the breath right out of his yell.

What sounded slightly like something hard hitting a rock, hard, made me turn my head. Thankfully it was Emmett making the sound as he smashed one of the guy's heads in on a rock. It was disgusting and brutal, but it was the only way. A good way. I pulled up the one underneath me and shoved him towards the rock. He caught himself on it and I jumped on his back, grabbing two handfuls of oily black hair. The first blow knocked him out and I started to fall backwards with him. A hand grabbed my shirt and yanked me upright. Emmett was finishing off what looked to be the one I had knocked unconscious in the beginning.

"Bella has Alice untied, you untie Rose and I'll get your mother." I worked fast on my father's commands. Emmett pushed me aside halfway through the knot and I left for Alice. Bella was still there next to her. I leaned down and scooped Alice up in my arms, covering her mouth just incase she became afraid and tried to scream.

She awoke with wide eyes and when she saw me, she relaxed. "No screaming," I told her. I removed my hand and cradled her in my arms. "Let's get out of here," I said. I started off in the direction of our old camp, but I felt like I was missing someone. I could see Emmett carrying Rose and Dad and Mom connected by their hands. Bella was still at that rock where Alice had been, just staring at it.

I put Alice down on her feet and told her to run. She did but watched me the whole time as I went back for Bella.

"Bella, look at me." She didn't. "Bella, we need to get out of here. Come on." She still ignored me. "I won't go without you," I said. This made her look up. Her eyes were brimming with tears and I could see the ghosts that haunted her so clearly. "Take my hand," I told her. She did. "Now run."

They weren't far ahead, Alice was lagging, still watching for me and Mom and Dad wouldn't get too far ahead of her, or me. I sped up and pulled Bella along with me, not letting go of her hand. Alice kind of stopped when she saw me and turned slightly as I was coming. I grabbed her as I ran and she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Foolish girl," I hissed. "I told you to run."

"I was running," she said, hugging my neck tight.

The only sounds in the dark night were our feet hitting the hard ground. Rocks kept digging into my feet but I ignored it. I ran hard, still pulling on Bella, gently urging her to move faster, and carrying the extra weight of Alice, but it was hardly anything.

"Father," I panted quietly.

He slowed with my mother slightly and when we caught up with them, we matched paces. He asked me, "Do you want me to take her?"

"No, I have her," I said. "Are we going to the camp?"

"Yes," he answered. "We'll have to hurry. We'll get as much from the wagon as we can and we'll saddle up the team and ride. We'll have to leave the wagon."

"They haven't come back for our things yet?" I asked him.

"I hope not."

The run felt like it took forever and I felt like I grew weaker with every leap and bound but I wouldn't put Alice down and I wouldn't let go of Bella. My feet felt sore and wet with blood and I swore I'd pull my boots on the second I saw them and possibly learn to sleep with them on. When the light of the moon finally reflected off the white covered wagon, I sighed with relief. It was there, unmoved and unburned, which hopefully meant untouched. I slowed slightly and let Alice slide down and I ran impossibly fast, catching up with Emmett and Rose who were still ahead. I jumped into the wagon, still running and actually let out a small laugh at the items still being there.

I found a sack of clothing and pulled out as many slacks and shirts as I could find, tying the legs and arm holes closed, I started stuffing supplies into them. When my mother and Alice came into the wagon, I handed it off to them and jumped back outside. I couldn't see the horses in the darkness but I could hear them moving and crunching. They weren't far off. I whistled.

Hooves thundered across the ground as at least one of them started towards me, probably Ginger, my red mare. She ran to me, nickering and stopping right in front of me. I pulled my saddle up from the ground and quickly threw it onto her back, cinching up and getting ready. Father and Emmett were saddling up their own when I started leading my mare towards the wagon to help finish packing up.

Mother handed me shirts and pants filled with supplies and I tied them carefully in front of my saddle. We had four horses and seven riders, which meant most of us would be riding double. Emmett would ride single, he was easily the size of me and Alice put together. His horse was large but not large enough for two.

Everyone seemed to be ready and we stood there for just a moment; we were shocked, confused, unsure.

"Father, you take Alice," I said. He nodded in agreement.

"Rose and I can ride together," Esme said and I nodded to that.

"I'll take Bella," I said. There was more nodding and everyone went to mount. "Do you ride?" I asked Bella. She nodded. "Great," I said, "we're going to be riding fast, you're up front." She seemed surprised when I grabbed her and hoisted her up into the saddle. I threw my now booted foot into the stirrup and mounted behind the saddle. "C'mon Ginger," I said and I reached forward with my long legs and kicked her sides.

She lurched from a standstill into a gallop and Bella collected the reins loosely in her hands. Her hair flew back into my face and I held on lightly to the back of the saddle seat as we loped across the flat land. Bella steered and the big moon shone down on us as we ran. I grew tired and quite possibly relaxed enough on my horse that I could have fallen asleep. I wasn't making that mistake again though.

It was hours that we ran and my pants were wet with my horse's sweat. The cool night helped, but the horses were thirsty and panting. Emmett was ahead on his long legged horse, Bella and I just slightly behind, and Carlisle holding back his big horse to stay with Esme and Rosalie on the slightly older team horse. Carlisle looked extremely worried. I did my best not to think about it and I smiled at Alice who was hanging onto our father's waist.

We hadn't heard anyone behind us and the sun was just rising which meant we were probably just being discovered as missing. We had hours for a head start but just like in Alice and I's game of tag, head starts didn't count when one was so much faster than the other. The Modocs could catch us still, we had to keep riding.

We finally hit water at the mid-part of the day. We were all sweaty and tired and thirsty. Everyone got off and drank and splashed the cool water on themselves. I led Ginger to a deeper part of water and let her cool off in the cool, running stream. We didn't get long, but it was enough.

It was obvious Emmett had dislocated his shoulder, either breaking free, fighting, or carrying Rose, or a combination of the three. His shoulder was dropped and his arm immobile so my father had to put it back in place. He placed me in front of Emmett, with my hands on his chest to stop any movement forward when father pushed. He manipulated the shoulder, pressing lightly and feeling around the bone. From around Emmett's broad shoulder, my father gave me a pointed look and I braced, he pushed and the shoulder popped loudly back in place. Emmett grunted in pain, but didn't holler or make a fuss. Rosie rushed over quickly to make sure he was okay.

I was mostly unscathed, only the knife wound on my throat and some bruises. Most of the blood had worn off with sweat and the rest was washed away with the water. My father still insisted on checking me over and I was embarrassed while everyone watched as he lifted my shirt and pressed on my bruised back to check each rib for any fractures. I didn't flinch or hiss, even as he prodded an extremely tender spot. It was my Alice who rushed to me to see if I was alright. I rolled my eyes at her.

– – –

Bella gave me the saddle this time as we rode off. I assured her I was fine in back, but she, I guess, felt like trading off. We ran into another small stream only hours later. It was a much smaller body of water and father suggested we ride through the water for a while. We rode north, at a much slower pace, through the water and following the stream. Our path was undetectable here. When the sun started to set, we left the water and started west again. Hours into the night, we stopped. The grass was lusher here and there were more streams, which meant we were leaving the more sandy area and getting closer to our destination.

Mother unpacked us some bread and we all happily ate it, except Bella, who declined to eat. We didn't make a fire and supplies were running low so bread was all we had for now. I was fine with that, and for once, I think Emmett was fine with just bread for dinner. We were all quite happy to be alive. The women and Emmett laid down for the night while my father agreed to take watch over us. I wanted to keep watch too, because I didn't want to be asleep again when something happened, but he begged me to go to sleep.

I laid down on the far outside of the line, while Emmett was on the other far outside, the women between us. Bella had been on the end, keeping her distance, but I forced her slightly closer to my family. Then Alice worked her magic and got Bella to trade places with her.

"Would you go to sleep already," I whispered down at Alice as she crawled closer to me.

She smiled and even the mock anger rushed away. I hugged her and as always, she fell asleep impossibly quickly. Bella smiled slightly at me as I laid there with Alice in my arms. I smiled back and closed my eyes so not to make her uncomfortable by looking at her. I fell asleep too.

I slept for what felt like a long time, though I'd expected to be woken to switch places with my father. I was surprised it was Emmett who woke me.

"Edward, Alice, get on, the sun's coming up."

I stirred and Alice yawned loudly. Bella was still asleep so I reached over Alice and gently shook her. She awoke and opened those browns eyes. They pierced me with their intensity, but I didn't allow myself to linger. Everyone got up and our camp was packed up.

The horses seemed happy, despite their hard workout. The green, lush grass was going to be helpful. Both to their appetite and their feet. The rush started again as we all saddled up quickly and mounted.

We made it through our first night of bedding down without incidence, but now the fear crept back up. They could be catching up after the hours of downtime we'd had. We started off at a fairly brisk pace again. Galloping across the grass towards the west.

– – –

It was six sunrises of the same thing, still without a sign of them. Six sunrises later that we ran into a town. We found out we were in west Idaho and only weeks away from our destination in Washington. The townsfolk avoided us like the plague and gave us scornful looks after they found out we'd been kidnapped by Modocs. We could have led the Modocs to this town, is probably what they were thinking. We needed supplies and although we didn't have much money left, we bought what we could. Money and land was waiting for us in Washington. Just a few short weeks more of riding.

– – –

After that town, that night was the first time we'd built a fire since the night on the prairie. Emmett caught a rabbit and mother cooked up the meat. The meat was good with the bread. I even got dessert.

"Psst," Alice whispered at me. I rolled my eyes and looked at her. She very stealthily slid her hand towards mine and deposited something sticky into my palm. I recognized it as a root beer barrel.

"Alice, you didn't?" I asked, praying she didn't steal candy.

"I had a nickel," she said very innocently.

"Oh really?" I asked.

She nodded. "I found it. On the floor. No one else was in the store," she said with a shrug.

"So you claimed it as your own?" I asked.

She huffed. "Edward, just eat the damn barrel."

"Watch your mouth," I told her with a stern look. "And why should I eat the barrel, it's your stolen candy."

"I didn't steal anything," she said very defensively. "The nickel was on the floor and I talked the man into a handful for a nickel." I'll bet she did too. Alice had a way, she could talk anyone into just about anything.

"You have a handful of them? And you just share with me?"

"No, I was going to share with everyone else, but since I knew you'd be the biggest baby about it, I figured I'd give you yours first. But since you don't want it…" She made to grab the barrel back from me but I popped it in my mouth. And it tasted wonderful. With a satisfied smile, she gave one to Bella next, who had probably heard the whole story, as she was somehow seated next to me again. Bella thanked Alice and Alice made rounds, giving everyone a barrel. She told the story again and both my mother and father gave her disapproving looks, but she was right, I was the one to make the biggest fuss over it. I was mostly teasing her.

– – –

More days went by without a sign of being followed. Another week closer to our new home and we started to relax. We were talking again and laughing. We slowed down so not to kill our horses, though they would probably end up useless and lame after this anyway. The days were long and slowly getting cooler the further west we went. The sun started to disappear and it started to rain daily. But we were in the land of trees now. The trees gave some protection and the rain didn't usually come with thunder, lightening, or wind. I began to understand why doctors were so desperately needed here. It was cool and it rained non-stop, of course everyone would be sick. We started to become restless. We'd condemned ourselves to a life with no sun.

Someone always stayed up on night watch. We had a schedule, tonight was my night. Bella stayed up with me this night.

"Long day ahead of us tomorrow, Bella," I hinted.

She just smiled lightly and said, "I'm not tired."

It was a lie. We were all tired. She saw my skepticism but didn't comment, just continued to sit with me near the fire under the dark, starry sky. She didn't talk much. And mostly it was to me if she did, though she seemed to like everyone else too. She occasionally laughed at Emmett with one of his jokes, and she smiled at Alice a lot, and she liked to help my mother.

"Why don't you eat with us?" I asked her.

She frowned down at her feet slightly. I recognized her clothes as my mother's. They were slightly big on her as Bella was small, but not too much smaller than Esme. I imagined she was shrinking even smaller without eating.

I waited for her answer. She peeked at me out of the side of her eye and saw I was waiting. "It's your food," she said with a shrug.

"And we offer it to you, but you don't eat it," I replied.

"I do sometimes," she tried.

"Only because Alice has her ways," I said. I saw Bella smile lightly. "So tell me why, Bella."

She sighed and when she looked up at me, I saw her ghost-haunted eyes again that came out every so often. "You have done so much for me, I can't bear to eat your food too."

"Bella," I sighed. "you're one of us now, you're part of our family." I didn't like the way my words sounded so I added, "If you want to be, that is. If there is somewhere else for you, someone else..." I trailed off.

Her head shook lightly. "I have no one, only you." I saw her cheeks turn lightly red and it made my heart stutter a bit. "Your family I mean, they are all I have."

"Then eat with us," I said.

"Rosalie needs more for the baby, I won't take the extra that should be for her."

"You're stubborn," I said. "Mother makes sure Rosalie gets enough for the baby, so don't worry yourself over it. There is plenty for you. Okay?" I could see the hard, determined set of her lips even from the side of her face. I gently cupped her chin and made her look at me. I stared her hard in the eyes and said again, "Okay?" She shivered slightly and nodded against my hand. I pushed the blanket I had on my shoulders off and lightly wrapped it around hers. "If you're really not going to go to bed, then don't sit over here freezing to death," I said. I went to fetch an extra blanket then resettled next to her near the fire.

– – –

After another few days, we drew closer to the shoreline, and our destination, and the clouds started to break up some. It grew warm, it was finally sunny again, and we found a nice spot where the trees were open and the water was in the shining sun.

Even after all the rain, the water looked inviting. We stopped for the afternoon and we set up camp. Alice was the first to loose her shoes and jump into the water, Emmett was quickly after her, shucking his shirt and pants, leaving his underwear only.

Rosalie and I both got up at the same time. She giggled and I laughed too. She removed most of her clothing, though she left her undergarments and I followed suit of Emmett, leaving my underwear.

The water was warmer than I expected and it felt wonderful. We splashed and played and swam and Emmett dunked us, or tried. Ma and Pa were down stream washing clothing and hanging it in the sun to dry and Emmett and Rosie eventually disappeared mysteriously. I kept Alice in seeing distance so she wouldn't wander off looking for them. God only knows…

"Bella, aren't you coming in?" Alice asked.

"No, thank you Alice. I'll enjoy the sun up here," Bella answered. She had a blanket down in the grass and was laying on her stomach, her hair off her shoulders, letting the sun wash over her, warming her bare arms and neck.

When Rose and Emmett returned, I got out of the water. My playful mood had vanished with their grotesquely satisfied grins. I felt eyes on me and was surprised to find Bella staring at me from her place on the blanket. I met her eyes and she quickly looked away, turning deep red. Embarrassed and insecure, I turned my back and started to put my clothes back on. I let the feelings pass, no reason for them to linger when we shared such close quarters.

I sat on the edge of her blanket. "My mother can keep guard while you bathe you know, or Rosalie, or Alice, whomever makes you more comfortable."

Her cheeks went crimson red. "I'll bathe later, thanks," she said softly.

"The sun is out, there is no reason for you to catch a chill bathing after dark."

She shrugged, "I'm used to it."

I sighed. She was impossible. It didn't matter what I said, she could contradict me. "Really, if you're too ashamed to ask, I'll ask my mother for you."

She huffed a little bit. "No, thank you. I'll bathe tonight. If I really smell that bad you can go sit somewhere else." I could see the offense clearly on her face.

I dropped down onto my stomach next to her. "You smell fine," delicious even, but I kept that to myself, "I'm just trying to figure you out."

She looked into my eyes, probably to see if I really thought she smelled bad or not, and after a few brief moments of me getting lost in the dark brown globes, she flushed again and looked away. The sun reflected off of her dark hair and I caught the oddest glimpse of red. I unthinkingly stroked the lock that shone red and she turned to look at me again, surprised and still red-faced.

"Sorry," I muttered, pulling my hand back. "Your hair has red in it, you know," I said.

She didn't reply and I closed my eyes so not to embarrass either of us any further. We stayed there in the sun, enjoying the feel of it, for the rest of the day. It was my turn to stay up at night again and Bella made a repeat of the last time, staying by the fire with me.

We talked quietly of nothing important for a small while, until she awkwardly cut off the chat by standing up.

"I think I'll go bathe now."

"Okay," I said. She collected some things from a makeshift sack and slowly picked her way down the waterline. I felt a bit on edge as she left my eye and ear shot. I strained to hear her but I couldn't. I considered going to check on her, but realized how inappropriate that would be. She would be naked, I wondered how much of a pig it made me to almost want to see that. I sternly shook my head at myself, shaking those thoughts away.

But then I heard something, and it wasn't Bella. I couldn't see her and I couldn't hear her. Something bad could happen. I had to know if she was alright. So I snuck along the shoreline, following along the path she had likely taken. When I heard her moving in the water, I should have turned around, but I didn't. I was compelled to see her, and whether it was just to make sure she was alright or not, I told myself that was the reason.

I crept quietly closer until I could see light against dark. The bright moon shone down onto the water, turning the stream surface black. Her skin was alabaster pale and white against everything and I just stared. She was submersed in the water to her shoulders and she had her head tilted back with her hair in the water. My eyes kept following the elegant curve of her throat and down to her chest. I wondered what exactly was hidden below the surface. But even more, I wondered why I wondered that and why I was here staring.

I peeled my eyes away and turned back towards camp. As I took the first step, I heard the sound again. Like a twig snapping. Something creeping, besides me. Something was out there. Bella didn't notice it, I could still hear her gentle movements in the water as she washed her hair.

"Bella?" I whispered quietly.

I heard her gasp. "Edward?"

"I'm not looking, I swear. I just…are you okay?"

"I'm fine. What are you doing?" She didn't sound as angry as I imagined she would be.

"I heard something. Something's out there. I had to make sure you were okay. Are you almost finished?"

"What do you mean something's out there?"

"I don't know," I said. "I didn't mean to startle you and I honestly wasn't looking," for long. "I just don't like you out here alone. Would you please hurry up?" I begged.

I heard the water slosh some more and then she said, "Don't turn around."

I firmly forced myself to stand stock still when all I wanted to do was break her orders as I heard her drawing closer to me. I curled my hands into my pants so tightly my knuckles hurt. She was just behind me, completely naked. And she trusts you, my head told me. I couldn't break her trust, especially not for something so stupid. I don't even know why I wanted to see her naked.

"I'm decent," she muttered finally.

I uncurled my fists and turned around. She was wrong, she was entirely indecent. Her hair was shiny black in the moonlight, running down over the curves of her subtle breasts. Even clothed, her skin still glowed like alabaster and my eyes were glued to her throat and chest.

She moved towards me, carrying the things she brought with her. "So what did you hear?"

I hardly heard her question as she walked towards me. I couldn't stop staring at her. It was like I saw her in a whole new light. In the moon light, I saw Bella.

I remembered her question when she said, "Edward?"

Oh. Right. Potential danger. "I don't know what it was. Could be nothing, but I wasn't taking the chance. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you."

Her lip twitched up slightly and I wanted to touch it. I settled for reaching for her hand to lead her back to the camp. Her small fingers twined with mine and an odd jolt seemed to shoot from where our skin touched. I looked at our hand curiously as the feeling persisted. Bella did that shivering thing of hers again. Serves her right for bathing in the dark.




0 comments: