Love Ridden - Chapter 5

Click here for the full chapter

Beta'd By: Strae
Go here: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1930432/


EPOV

Even from inside the barn I could hear her truck approaching the driveway. It was unbelievably loud, not to mention ancient looking, and I honestly found it hard to believe it still ran.

I took a seat on the edge of the loft and waited for Bella. She inhaled as she entered, smiling contentedly as she looked around.

"Good morning beautifuls," I heard her murmur as she walked down the aisle, unknowingly approaching me.

"Good morning yourself, beautiful," I called eagerly.

Bella jumped and shrieked, then located me and gave me a very malicious look.

Admittedly, I knew I was going to scare her, I just couldn't resist the temptation. I didn't usually hang out in the loft, so it was a given that she'd had no idea I was even there.

"You scared the bejesus out of me, Edward Cullen," she chastised, completing the sharp tone with her hands braced on her hips and a scowl on her face.

"I'm terribly sorry, darlin'," I drawled, giving the best 'come hither' look I could muster.

The scowl melted off of her face like butter off of a warm knife, though she didn't approach me as I'd hoped.

"Well, it's okay, I suppose," she offered.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the warm blush staining her cheeks, and the fact that I actually got away with scaring her.

"What has you out here, and up there, so early?" Bella inquired, looking at her boots and scuffing them against the concrete aisle.

"Mm, well, someone has made it clear that they would like to be out of here an hour early today, so I had to get my butt in gear and actually do my own work."

My joke was apparently in bad taste, because all she did was grimace and look guilty. "Edward, I don't have to—"

"Hey, it was a joke," I interrupted. "This isn't open for discussion, because I really want to have dinner with you tonight. You are out of here an hour early today, promise."

"Okay," she agreed, looking hesitantly up at me and offering a shy smile. "Where do you want me?" she asked, somewhat provocatively—to me at least.

The answers were endless. In my arms, by my side, on my horse, in my house, in my bed, everywhere I go. Forever.

"Uh, I haven't started chores yet, actually. I've been up here all morning so just go about the normal routine."

She nodded affirmatively and started as she usually would, while I went back to stacking hay, forcing myself not to simply sit and watch. I hadn't realized how much of a convenient location the loft was for spying—though I usually didn't tend to be very stalkerish.

Lost in my thoughts, Bella surprised me when she was standing right beside me not much later. She smiled when I spotted her.

I smiled back. "Can I help you?"

"Just need a few bales," she said, reaching for the nearest one.

I still found it hard to believe that her small stature could handle the heavy lifting and tiring work that came with being a stable hand. She never complained at all though, and she could buck a bale with the best of them.

I helped her toss a few more bales down, just enough for the morning feeding of the stalled horses.

Bella offered her thanks, to which I replied, "You could have just asked me to toss a few down." Not that I didn't like being closer to her, but it made it infinitely more difficult to not kiss her when she was standing right next to me.

"And ruin your concentration, hardly," she joked. "It looks nice."

"Thanks. We have that huge load coming tomorrow, so I had to get this all re-stacked before that comes. It should all fit," I said, giving the area an appraising look, hoping I'd get the number of bales I wanted up there. "I'm nearly done, I'll be right down to help you."

I looked from the hay back to Bella, to find her giving me a sweet smile, making it that much harder for me to go without the kiss I'd very nearly had last night. I just wanted to kiss her, just once... Okay, probably not just once, but just once as a starting point.

Bella bit her lip and turned away from me to descend the stairs. I forced myself not to follow, though I very much wanted to. I busied myself with the last of the bales. I could hear her humming along with the radio in the feed room below me, mixing up the morning's grain. I joined in with a whistle, hoping to distract my thoughts slightly.

I finished the last bales quickly and leaned against the door frame of the feed room to watch her work uninhibitedly, just for a few moments. She looked so at home when I was unnoticed, doing anything from riding to cleaning stalls. She seemed to grow nervous whenever she knew I was watching.

"Would you like me to turn up the radio?" I asked her quietly, before she could catch me watching.

She jumped and gave me a malevolent glare over her shoulder. "No, thank you," she replied.

I knew I deserved that curt tone for frightening her again, but I ignored it. "You know, I don't mind when you make adjustments to things. You are more than welcome to change the station, turn it up, switch Beau's halter to red, whatever, it doesn't bother me."

Thankfully her anger didn't seem to linger and she actually smiled at me. "I'll keep that in mind. Beau would look fantastic in red."

I very pointedly rolled my eyes at her, to which she chuckled. "I'm going to start turning the kids out."

"I'll be right there, I have just a few more left," she replied.

A carrying nicker came from the horse at the end of the aisle when she spotted me. Her chestnut-colored head bobbed and tossed with impatience over her swing out window while she stomped and hoofed at her stall door.

"I see your girlfriend missed you," Bella called to me.

I turned back to see her poking her head out the feed room door. I smirked at her. "Yeah, it's really too bad you don't greet me so kindly every morning."

Bella rolled her eyes. "She also licks your face, I doubt you'd take to that type of greeting from me."

Oh, you're so wrong! "I wouldn't mind."

She quickly ducked back into the feed room, her face burning red, and I wondered if I took it too far.

My mare continued to nod her head, as if she read my thoughts. I sighed and rubbed her lovely face. I jumped when Bella's voice was right behind me. I scowled, though I deserved the scare, and by the look on her face, she'd done it on purpose.

"You're not very good at this turnout thing, she totally has you wrapped around her little hoof."

"What can I say, I'm a sucker for a brunette," I replied, pulling my fingers through Holi's forelock.

Bella rolled her eyes. I wondered if she realized that she too could have me at her every beck and call, that I was wound tightly around her pinkie finger already. No, I knew she didn't realize that, but I wondered if she ever would.

"I think you're just a sucker for a sweet talker."

"That too," I agreed.

She laughed and turned to the horse opposite, sliding the halter onto his head.

She really had no idea just how deeply I cared for her. I really hoped I would be able to show her.

– – –

The moments during the day that I doubted my ability to make it through another night without overstepping my boundaries—I had just barely succeeded last night—seemed to eat up the day in no time at all.

Yet, during the brief moments my self-doubt was misplaced, I couldn't help but feel like time was crawling, dragging on.

I truly couldn't wait to spend more time with Bella, personal time, away from the barn. In the barn, I couldn't help but feel the push and pull of our relationship constantly; I was employer and she was my employee. But in my home, she was simply Bella and I was Edward. We could be there together without the strain of superiority, or so I told myself—not that I felt superior to Bella, anyway.

Just a little over an hour earlier than usual, all chores were completed and Bella was heading down the driveway.

I was positively giddy with anticipation, and utterly nervous with self-doubt.

I was fairly sure she'd let me hold her hand again, at least. Maybe she'd let me kiss her on the cheek again as well. Perhaps this time I could greet her with a kiss on the cheek. I really liked that idea.

I showered and shaved, making sure to remove every last grain of stubble. I dressed a bit more formally than I would for work, opting for a new pair of jeans and a plain black button-down that Alice had sent me sometime recently. At least I had a reason to wear her clothes now. In an attempt not to look too uptight, I rolled up the sleeves on the long-sleeved shirt.

I attempted to make up for the previous nights lack of preparations by chilling wine, but I found it really difficult to pick a bottle when I had no idea what Bella preferred. I settled on a fine vintage merlot and hoped for the best. I replaced the burned candles with new and set some 'mood' music at a very quiet level.

Bella pulled up to the house just over an hour after leaving. I rushed to finish my provisions and meet her at the door, while she carried in a handful of bags. I stared, dumbstruck, as she walked past me. She had to be doing it on purpose, no one could drive a man to insanity like this on accident. She was far, far too tempting for her own good.

The dark blue top she wore clung to her just perfectly, giving me a wonderful idea of just how distinct her curves were against her slight frame. The color was just right against her pale skin, like a night sky surrounding a bright star, making it glow. The low neckline left me wanting. She was wearing jeans, as usual, but they didn't appear to be anything I'd ever seen her in before. They looked new, and they certainly weren't dusty old Wranglers. Her ass looked...

"Wow," I muttered. Her ass definitely did look 'wow', but I realized I probably shouldn't have said that when she turned back to me with a dark blush reddening her skin from cheeks to chest. It didn't help matters for me at all to be left wondering exactly how low that blush extended.

"Wow, yourself," she replied.

I felt the rare heat of embarrassment creep into my own cheeks. I suddenly wished I had dressed up a little more, and that I had sufficient confidence, and that I would be able to sweep beautiful Bella off her feet somehow.

"I hope you're hungry, because I might have went a little overboard," Bella said.

I could have slapped myself in the forehead. There she was holding potentially heavy bags while I stood around doing nothing but ogling. I quickly reached out to take the groceries, but she pulled them out of my reach.

"Ah, ah, ah, not so fast. This is my night and you don't get to peek," she scolded.

I tried to glare at her, but then simply smirked, remembering my little plan. I quickly leaned forward and brushed my lips across her cheek, whispering, "You look incredible," as I pulled back.

Bella blushed and ducked her head, muttering her thanks and, from the looks of it, trying to hide a smile.

"You do too," she said, then bit her lip and turned, heading for the kitchen.

I don't know if she was lying or not, but I sincerely hoped she did think I looked good too.

I inconspicuously studied the design on her rear seat pockets as I followed her into the kitchen. She dropped the bags on the counter and began to pull out their contents. Curious, I attempted to look over her shoulder, while she wiggled back and forth, trying to block my view.

"You're letting me help," I told her.

She gave me a scathing look over her shoulder, then ordered out, "Preheat the oven to four-fifty and grab me a baking sheet."

I did as she asked, setting the oven and handing her the baking sheet. Bella had most of her items scattered around the counter and a knife in hand. I precariously moved towards her, nervous of the damage she could accidentally do to herself. She set to work chopping and slicing and I hovered, tense and anxious. It would be my luck for her to cut her finger off tonight, ruining our plans.

Bella dropped her knife exasperatedly, turning on me with an angry scowl.

I took a step back.

"Go sit down," she said, propping her hands on her hips, making it obvious it wasn't up for discussion.

"What?" I asked, trying to play innocent.

"You're hovering, it's making me nervous. Please, go sit down."

"How about you just let me—"

"No. Please!"

I huffed, turned around, and sat on the counter on the opposite side of the kitchen, which gave me a pretty good view. She had an awful lot of food...

"Are you cooking for an army?" I asked.

She giggled. "I told you, I might have went overboard."

She threw sliced potatoes into the oven after it beeped to announce the desired heat.

"Where are the frying pans?" she asked me.

I nudged the cupboard door behind my foot. She walked forward and bent before me and rummaged the cupboard and came out with a large pan. She returned to the stove and I heard something starting to sizzle and pop.

I sighed, realizing she wasn't going to let me help her at all. I leaned back and settled against the cupboards behind me, preparing for a long night of observing. At least I had an interesting subject.

Though I'd seen the potatoes, the chicken, and many other random items, I had no idea what she was making. There were lots of sweet smells that I couldn't distinguish, and I was thoroughly confused when I saw her adding mustard to what I'd thought had been the culprit of the sweet smell.

About twenty minutes in, Bella was able to chat while she kept an eye on what looked to be some sort of breaded chicken. I pulled out the merlot, but she refused to take any.

As it usually seemed to be, our conversation was easy and unforced, leading to laughs and smiles. The finished product of her meal surprised me and it looked delicious. Somehow homemade chicken strips and fries hadn't come to mind.

"I know it's really simple, but I figured everyone likes chicken and fries, right?" She looked nervous.

It wasn't just regular old breaded chicken either, but sweet honey mustard chicken, and the fries were sweet potato. Not even half of the food got eaten though, she literally had made enough for an army.

Still in the oven while we ate was a batch of cinnamon roll muffins. The smell of them cooking had me salivating. Though I'd just finished a large meal, I couldn't resist a muffin after watching her drizzle them with icing.

"Will you have a glass of wine now?" I asked her, tearing into my muffin and sipping at my merlot.

"No, Edward, thank you though. This is all really too much, you didn't have to do any of this."

"I didn't do anything, you did everything," I pointed out, though I knew she wasn't really talking about the food. Of course she meant the music, wine, candles, which was honestly nothing at all compared to not only her company, but the exquisite meal I'd been fed. The muffins melted in your mouth...

"You know what I mean," she groaned.

"You don't like it?" I asked, feeling disappointed. Perhaps she just wanted someone to cook with, and not to 'dine' with.

"No, that's not it, I love it, Edward, really I do. It's just not necessary."

If she loved it, how wasn't it necessary? "Why not?" I hedged.

"Well, it's—it's just not." She began gathering up dirty utensils, and I followed suit, forcing us to again converge at the sink. "I'll clean up my mess, then I should be going."

I sighed. "I suppose there is no chance of talking you into letting me clean up."

She just shook her head 'no'.

She gathered all of the dishes and set to washing. I assumed my same position as last night and dried and stacked.

"So, would you be opposed to joining me tomorrow night? It's my turn to cook."

She smiled at me. "Not sick of me yet?"

"Never," I answered honestly.

"If you insist," she said cryptically.

"I do, but if you are sick of me, please don't feel obligated. I'm sure you have someone more interesting to hang out with. I doubt your old boss is very fun."

I was digging myself a hole, and I knew it, but I couldn't get in any deeper than I already was if there was in fact someone else. I still found it incredibly hard to believe there wasn't. She was absolutely beautiful and, although shy, she was so much fun and so, so sweet.

"Edward Cullen, you are not old! I really enjoy this, and I don't actually have anyone else to hang out with." She glanced at me, then quickly looked back to the dishes.

"I don't believe that for a second," I told her.

She gave me a grim smile. "I'm not a very interesting person, in case you haven't noticed. I spend most of my time here or hidden behind a book."

"That doesn't make you uninteresting. I find you immensely interesting, and it's a shame if no one else notices."

"You don't have to flatter me, I've already agreed to have dinner with you." She was blushing, naturally, but smiling nonetheless.

"Oh, Miss Swan, I'm not trying to flatter you, I have much better material for that, I'm simply telling the truth." With little thought, I added, "But tomorrow will be really long and tiring, you can shower and change here if you want."

"Oh, um, yes, uh, sure," she stuttered, blushing darkly again.

Once the dishes were finished, I handed her half of the night's meal in Tupperware containers. She took it and smiled and I followed her to the door. Again, we walked in silence to her truck and she turned to face me when we reached it.

I stepped forward and whispered, "Bella," then softly brushed her right cheekbone with my thumb and tucked a stray lock of her soft hair behind her ear. She shivered lightly and breathed quickly through parted lips. Steeling myself, I leaned forward and kissed her right cheek with my fingers still in her soft hair.

I heard something fall, but didn't even have a chance to comprehend what it was. Her fingers knotted themselves into my hair and she crushed her sweet lips to mine. Surprised, I was still for a moment too long.

Bella pulled back suddenly with a gasp. She stepped away from me quickly and covered her face with her hands, muttering, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," over and over again.

I didn't know if she meant for kissing me or for pulling away, but I had to know.

I gently grasped her wrists and urged her to lower her hands from her face. She allowed me, but she refused to raise her head to look at me. I let go of her wrists and cupped her face between my hands, waiting for her to meet my eyes.

When she did, I asked, "For what?"

"For what?" she asked back. I nodded. "That. I... well... it... That," she sighed. Her brow furrowed and she looked away from me thoughtfully. "I didn't mean to attack you," she finally said.

Nervous eyes met mine, so full of questions as I continued to cradle her face. I chuckled lightly at her response and rubbed her bottom lip as it pursed out at me, whether in annoyance or a pout, I wasn't sure. I leaned forward and kissed her full lips once.

"Bella, I've been wanting to do that for weeks, but I didn't think you'd be so receptive," I admitted.

Her entire body seemed to go slack as she leaned towards me. "Really?" she asked breathlessly.

I nodded. "I don't know if I can stop now."

I leaned back in, nuzzling her lightly before again kissing her. I parted my lips against hers, softly running my tongue over her bottom lip, tasting her. Her lips parted with a small sound and I pressed my tongue into her, just for a moment, then pulled it back. I was already so drunk on her, plus the wine, and I really didn't want to do anything too quickly. I kissed her lips one last time before letting her go completely.

"Goodnight Bella, sleep well."

"G'night Edward," she breathed back quietly.

I smiled and opened her door for her, she climbed in with a smile and started the noisy truck. We both backed away, and I watched her disappear into the night.

I was hopelessly in love with her already, every fiber of my being wept at her departure. I wanted nothing more now than to see her in my home, for her to be mine. My Bella.

BPOV

I wasn't able to sleep well after my dinner with Edward. I was still giddy when I got home, I was giddy after taking a shower, and I was giddy when I laid in bed. I was just giddy over Edward Cullen.

If I hadn't been sure before that I was falling for him, I knew now without a doubt. I couldn't get him out of my head and I wanted him more than anything in the world.

By five in the morning, I'd barely gotten any sleep and wasn't even trying anymore. I sent my mom an email to keep her happy and played around on the Internet for a while, then finally decided I might as well just go to work at six. I needed to leave early, so I should be there early anyway.

I parked in my usual spot between the barn and the house and paused as I was getting out, remembering the night before while I stared toward his house. Maybe tonight would be even better...

The barn was my sanctuary, there were few places that could make me happier. I lingered in the doorway, just breathing in the smell of horses. I looked around for Edward, but couldn't find him. He wasn't usually out this early but some of the lights were on. I figured he must have come out during the night or something and had left the lights on.

Many horsey heads were hanging out of stall windows, staring at me longingly as I passed the feed room. "Good morning beautifuls," I greeted.

I didn't have a chance to give a more thorough greeting because a deep voice answered my greeting. "Good morning yourself, beautiful."

Startled, I jumped, nearly losing my balance, and screamed embarrassingly loud, spooking some of the horses. My eyes darted to the dark form chuckling in the hay loft and I felt the strong urge to grab a pitchfork and throw it at him.

"You scared the bejesus out of me, Edward Cullen," I said, trying to be as stern as possible while he looked like a modeling cowboy sitting on the edge of the loft.

"I'm terribly sorry, darlin'," he purred with a wonderful southern drawl. Even from where I was I could see the humor still sparkling in his bright green eyes, the happiness that was there making it impossible for me to retain a semblance of anger.

I'm pretty sure I let it slip that I wasn't angry at him, to which he chuckled.

"What has you out here, and up there, so early?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Mm, well, someone has made it clear that they would like to be out of here an hour early today, so I had to get my butt in gear and actually do my own work," he said lightly, humor in his tone.

Even if he was joking, I couldn't help but feel guilty. He was doing the work that he paid me to do, all because I wanted to leave an hour early. I tried to tell him I didn't have to leave early, but he cut me off.

"Hey, it was a joke. This isn't open for discussion, because I really want to have dinner with you tonight. You are out of here an hour early today, promise."

I wanted to smile and laugh, and possibly dance and sing and make an idiot of myself, but I refrained since that would be really immature and uncalled for. But he really wanted to have dinner with me, and he had called me beautiful. That was something to be happy about!

"Okay," I sighed, trying to hold back my smile as I looked up at him. "Where do you want me?" I asked, wondering how long he'd been out here and just how much of my work he'd already done.

He hesitated slightly, his mouth open but no words coming out. He shook his head once, then with a smile said, "Uh, I haven't started chores yet, actually. I've been up here all morning so just go about the normal routine."

I nodded and immediately got started on chores. There was no hay in the feed room or in the aisles though, and without hay, I couldn't feed the horses. I could hear Edward moving around above me in the loft and considered asking him to toss me down a few bales, but I didn't want to interrupt him while he was busy, or make him do any more unnecessary work that I could do perfectly well on my own.

I started up the stairs, and froze midway when I caught sight of Edward. His white t-shirt was tighter than I'd realized and with every bale of hay he grabbed it clung to his rippling muscles. He walked to the far end of the loft, grabbing a hay bale in each hand and came walking back in my direction, his entire body looking perfectly flexed. I squatted down, so not to get caught and peeped for a few more moments.

I wanted to squeeze the bulging muscles in his arms each time he picked a bale, they looked so firm. Every time he tossed a bale up high onto the haystack, his shirt would ride up and give me an exquisite look at his powerful back flexing. Edward stopped unexpectedly and I'd thought I'd been caught, but he simply raised his shirt up over his stomach and wiped his face with it. I nearly moaned at the sight of his toned abs and tight pink nipples.

I'd never seen anything so attractive in my entire life.

When I was certain he couldn't see, I stood back up and finished climbing the stairs. Out of the corner of his eye, he seemed to notice me and turned in my direction. I knew I was blushing while I smiled bashfully.

I just ogled you.

"Can I help you?" he asked.

Oh, how I wished he could. "Just need a couple bales," I said, grabbing a near, unstacked one. I was careful not to get too close to the ledge as I tossed the bale off; with my lack of balance, it wasn't a good idea to tempt fate.

"Thank you for your help, Edward," I said once we finished.

"You could have just asked me to toss a few down," he replied.

"And ruin your concentration, hardly," I teased lightly. He chuckled. "It looks nice," I offered, nodding towards the newly stacked hay.

Edward grinned and thanked me, reminding me of the large shipment of hay we would be getting in.

I was barely listening as he was toying with his back pocket, drawing my eyes to his very nice behind. He turned back towards me and I allowed my eyes to follow up his body to his face. I blushed at the thought of spying on him and seeing him nearly shirtless. I smiled as innocently as possible.

I swear he knew exactly what I was thinking as he smirked back. I bit my lip nervously and quickly turned to start with feeding.

As soon as I'd started mixing grain, my mind started to wander again. I really wanted to creep back up the stairs and watch him. I started humming with the song on the radio and focused on the feed mixtures as a distraction. I smiled as he started whistling along with me.

"Would you like me to turn up the radio?"

I held in the shriek this time, though I did jump again. Did he really have to sneak up on me all the damn time?

"No, thank you," I said brusquely.

I felt my anger dissipate quickly as he continued to talk to me. I only had a few mixtures left and Edward went ahead to start turning horses out. From inside the feed room, I heard Holi nicker at him—while she pounded at the stall door with her hoof.

I peeked out of the feed room to watch as he approached her stall. He was standing back with his hands on his hips, shaking his head as Holi tossed hers. She was demanding and rogue, but she was Edward's girl. Their bond was strong and permanent and so obvious when you looked at them. They were two peas in a pod.

I couldn't help but joke about her demanding behavior and the fact that she licks his face, which he suggested I do. One would assume he was joking, but I was inclined to take him seriously and find out what he tasted like. I was betting on mint-chocolate chip, and pure, unadulterated male.

When I'd finished up with the morning grain, Edward was still standing with his mare, lovingly stroking her face and neck and running his fingers through her forelock and mane.

Once again, I couldn't help but tease him. He literally was wrapped around her hoof, and I told him so.

– – –

After getting started with chores, the day seemed to fly by. I was on the road home an hour early as promised. I drove more quickly than normal on my way home, hoping the whole way that I wouldn't see a police officer today of all days.

Once home, I quickly showered and shaved—just in case—and stood in my room in only a towel for way too long, trying to decide on what to wear. I didn't want to look desperate or slutty, but I definitely wanted to look nice and interested.

With a huff, I blindly pulled on a fitted dark blue shirt and the only pair of jeans that I had that were comfortable, yet not stained with grass, horse manure, or just plain old holey. I left my hair down to let it dry and hoped that my conditioner would do its job and keep it from looking like a rat called my hair its home.

By the time I arrived at the grocery store, I was in a panic. I had no idea what I was making. He said he wasn't picky, but what if he hated what I made? I scanned the aisles aimlessly, staring at item after item for inspiration but coming up with little.

As a last resort, I walked to the middle of all the aisles, looked around to make sure no one was watching, and spun around three times. When I opened my eyes, I was facing the meat section, which I strode over to and looked down at what I'd landed upon.

It was the largest package of pre-cut boneless chicken breast I'd ever seen. Determinedly, I grabbed the chicken and decided that the first recipe that came to mind would be my option.

Honey mustard chicken. Mm, that sounded delicious.

As a side, I could only choose sweet potato fries. Nothing went better with honey mustard chicken.

Satisfied that I'd finally picked something, I browsed the aisles for all the my desired ingredients, and ended up at the checkout with everything to make a batch of cinnamon roll muffins, too.

I was certain I'd went a bit overboard when I saw my total. It was definitely worth it though. But, I couldn't help but be nervous that Edward wouldn't like my meal.

I drove back to his house in record time and was glad to see that I had made it back in just an hour and fifteen minutes.

Edward already had the door open and waiting when I was about halfway across the yard and my heart pumped erratically at the sight of him. His smile was genuine, though he looked nervous, but I swore he was excited as he quickly stepped out of my way to let me through.

I could feel his eyes on me as I pushed the slip-on shoes I'd opted for instead of boots off of my feet. I had to bend slightly and was startled to hear him say, "Wow," a bit breathlessly.

I peeked over my shoulder at him and saw his eyes were definitely locked onto my butt. I giggled a little to myself before turning around to face him. His eyes snapped from my face downward and back again, making my cheeks burn hotter than they already were.

"Wow, yourself," I said honestly.

Though nothing was likely to beat this mornings ensemble, I certainly wasn't complaining. His clothes always fit him just perfectly and I couldn't help but feel a little bit jealous of his tight fitting clothing. I wanted to wrap myself around him like a well-fitting shirt...

I shook my head to dispel those thoughts. Edward's face turned a bit pink at my comment and I watched in amazement as he blushed. If only I could look so utterly attractive with red cheeks. I bit my lip against a smile when I noticed the tips of his ears were pink too.

Remembering that I needed to get dinner started, I said, "I hope you're hungry, because I might have went a little overboard."

Edward's face went from bashful to guilty at my comment, and he immediately tried to step forward to take the bags in my hands.

"Ah, ah, ah, not so fast. This is my night and you don't get to peek," I chastised jokingly.

Edward's eyes narrowed and his lips pursed then stretched into a devious smirk. Confused, and a little afraid, I stood completely still as he quickly leaned towards me. I held my breath as his lips ghosted over my cheek, followed by his breath as he whispered to me.

I sighed as he pulled away. My voice was embarrassingly meek as I returned his compliment, letting him know that I thought he looked incredible too.

Time went quickly and Edward and I were able to maintain lighthearted and fun banter and conversation all through my cooking, dinner and cleaning up. Much to my delight, Edward seemed to really enjoy the chicken, fries, and especially the muffins, which he drank wine with.

Knowing that I had to drive home, I wasn't inclined to accept his offer to have a drink with him, though he tempted me greatly with half-smirks and bright eyes.

At the end of our time together, Edward sealed up a container with half of the remaining food and handed it to me. I took it and held it between both of my hands. As much as I wanted to feel his hand in mine again, I didn't think I could handle it tonight. The spark between us would undermine my control for sure. Same as last night, he silently walked me to my truck and I turned to thank him and say goodnight.

He was standing closer then I had thought he had been, and he only continued to come closer. An immense number of emotions passed through me as he again leaned towards me. While I remained unfocused of one clear emotion, Edward simply looked unsure.

His lips parted and he softly spoke my name, making my breath catch in my throat with the reverence in which he said it. With one warm finger, he traced my burning cheekbone, brushing hair away from my face in the process. I could feel the precarious hold on my control slipping, and I wasn't sure whether I wanted to keep my grasp on it or not.

I shivered as his fingers traced the shell of my ear as he tucked my hair behind it. I halfheartedly tried to think clearly as his mouth was again in close proximity to mine, just inches away, brushing against my cheek softly.

Without a second thought, I dropped the items in my hands and moved my fingers to his hair. Adrenaline coursed through my system and I held tightly onto the rare burst of bravery. I wasn't stopping now.

I firmly pressed my mouth to his, unable to stop myself from moaning lightly at the feel of his lips against mine. I tugged lightly at his hair and moved my lips over his. They were so soft, so warm, moist, unmoving.

His thumb twitched against my cheek and reality came crashing down on me like an anvil falling from the sky.

What the hell am I doing!?

I pulled away quickly, severing the kiss with an embarrassingly loud smack. His eyes were wide and surprised, his lips still puckered and wet. I slapped my hands to my face, hoping to either wake up or disappear. Neither happened, and my attempts to apologize were pathetic at best. I could hardly get a word out.

Edward's hand lightly gripped my wrists, and though I didn't want him to see me, I allowed him to pull my hands away from my face. I stared fixedly at the ground, shocked at what an idiot I'd been.

When Edward let go of my wrists, I literally had to fight the urge to let them come back to my face. His hands gently cupped each side of my face and he urged my head up towards him. I kept my eyes down while he continued to patiently stroke my cheeks. I forced my eyes up, deciding I needed to take the consequences for my actions.

"For what?" he asked lightly, referring to my apologies.

Confused, I wondered if he was serious. "For what?" I asked incredulously. Edward nodded seriously. "That. I... well... it... That," I stuttered. Nothing comprehensible would come out while he was staring so intently into my eyes, so I looked away, while he continued to stare and cup me face. I sighed as I tried to decide what to say.

"I didn't mean to attack you," I said quietly.

I forced my eyes back to his to gauge his reaction, but quickly wished I hadn't looked. He was laughing at me. His carefree chuckle usually made me smile, but now I just wanted to cry as he laughed.

His thumb glided back and forth over my bottom lip and I fought the urge to lick his thumb with tooth and nail. No way was I doing anything stupidly under-thought and embarrassingly forward again tonight.

I didn't really even have a chance to react when his lips were on mine again, this time his doing. As quickly as he'd kissed me, he had retreated again, confusing me further.

"Bella, I've been wanting to do that for weeks, but I didn't think you'd be so receptive," Edward said huskily, a playful smile curving half of his mouth.

My bones seemed to melt and I sort of hunched forward, my weight leaning into him. "Really?" I asked breathlessly.

He nodded. "I don't know if I can stop now," he said, his voice dark and promising.

Once again he was leaning towards me and I responded in kind this time, leaning my head right to meet his lips. But our lips didn't meet, instead he brushed his nose against mine as he nuzzled me. So softly his lips connected with mine. His mouth parted and I felt the heat of his breath before the searing softness of his tongue tickled my bottom lip.

A pathetic whimpering sound rose from my throat and died in his mouth as I opened mine for him. His tongue barely entered my mouth before disappearing again. He pulled his mouth away and breathed deeply against my face. I couldn't open my eyes to know if he was looking at me or not. Almost as an afterthought, his mouth pressed to mine once more then I felt him step away, leaving my heavy body to fend for itself.

I could barely stand on my own two feet.

"Goodnight Bella, sleep well."

"G'night Edward," I heard myself whisper back.

I heard him open my door for me and I slid into my truck. My truck seemed louder than normal as I started it and the sound wasn't welcome in light of my perfect evening.

I don't remember my drive home. Everything was simply done mechanically as my brain focused on one thing and one thing alone.

I was in love with Edward Cullen.

And after the kiss, the smoldering looks he gave me and the soft brush of his lips on mine, I was beginning to believe that perhaps our relationship was not one-sided.

I fell asleep with my hands on my mouth, trying not to forget how it felt when he kissed me, and very much looking forward to the next day. It was his turn to cook!


0 comments: